International Students

Emory is committed to enrolling a talented first-year class from around the globe. Each year we offer need-based financial aid packages to a select group of international students. To be considered, please apply under the Office of Undergraduate Admission’s Regular Decision plan.

Merit Scholarships

Emory University’s Office of Admission offers merit-based scholarship assistance to a select number of international undergraduate students. All citizens of foreign countries who are not permanent residents of the United States (living in the US or abroad) will be reviewed for this opportunity. Admission is highly competitive and funding is limited.

International Students interested in this opportunity should apply through the Emory University Scholar programs. The application deadline is November 15.

Who Is an International Student?

You are considered an international student if you are not a US citizen or permanent resident. International students are those who hold FI, F2, J1, J2, G, or H series visas as well as those in other eligible noncitizen categories such as humanitarian parole, Cuban-Haitian entrant, refugee status, or asylum, among others.

Applying for Financial Aid

Emory’s undergraduate admission process is “need-aware” for international students seeking financial aid. Since need-based financial aid funds are limited, the Office of Admission must consider whether students who are not US citizens or permanent residents have requested and applied for financial aid when reviewing applications. Apply for need-based financial aid only if you have no other resources to fund your education.

Students seeking permanent residency status in the US will only be considered for financial aid once their proof of that status is provided to Emory.

For International Students to be Considered for Need-Based Financial Aid:

  • Select “yes” to the question on the Common Application or Coalition Application about applying for need-based financial aid. 

  • Complete the CSS Profile as accurately as possible.
  • Apply during the admission process if you think you’ll need financial assistance at any time during your education. Only students who apply for and receive financial aid their first year will be eligible for aid in subsequent years.
  • Plan to contribute financially to your education (for example, paying for your travel to and from home). Emory cannot assume responsibility for fluctuations to currencies or replace lost financial support from relatives, sponsors, government and corporate agencies, or other sources.

How to Submit Foreign Tax Documents

Foreign tax returns or foreign country equivalent are required of non-US residents. Provide a signed copy of the foreign taxes, translated to English and converted to USD, and include the currency conversion rate used. Once the CSS Profile is completed with this information, please upload or mail the foreign tax returns or foreign country equivalent to the College Board’s Institutional Documentation Service (IDOC).


  1. Feb 15
    Submit the CSS Profile.
  2. Feb 15
    Submit foreign tax return or foreign country equivalent, converted to USD, to the College Board’s Institutional Documents Service (IDOC).

Resources for International Students

students in colorful study area in the library

Work Opportunities

Need to earn extra money while in college?

Learn more about campus job opportunities
pink blooming dogwood tree in front of Emory campus building

Student Loans

Borrow up to the full cost of your education minus any other aid, if eligible.

See our Private Loan Lender list
Oxford female professor in bright blue dress pointing to blackboard

Apply for Admission

Learn more about requirements for international students.

Application guidelines